Saturday, July 02, 2005

It was a slightly overcast night in July. The air was thin, and surprisingly cold for this time of year. I was sitting on the embankment of the river, the chilling wind blowing crisply across my worn face. I felt the weather cool every fiber of my being, down to the very bone. Something was amiss, the seasons didn't want to fit. I watched as the water curled below me, like ink pouring magically from an over used pen. Driftwood floated past me, bending with the current of the river as it meandered about a slowly curving bend. The moon rose slowly amongst the ominous clouds creeping about on the horizon. The scarlet light of the summer moon bled across the sky, painting my face a fierce colour. Closing my eyes, I felt the gentle beams of light play across the world sprawled out before me. I saw the night transform itself into a day of its own, bringing each slight detail to life in its own priceless way. An image of omnipotent majesty. Opening my eyelids slowly, I gazed upon the never ending space that lay above and about me. I smiled to myself as the stars slowly pricked through the dark fabric of the evening, scattering themselves scarcely about the heavens. The very eyes of whichever Gods should choose to abide therein. I couldn't help but allow my mind the freedom of wandering, as I pondered the possibilities of what higher power might lay just out of our reach. What great image might I be a mere paint stroke within? Are we all but martyrs, waiting for the day on which we must die? Forging through the timeless expanse of eternity, hoping we might stumble upon the truth behind it all. Do we constantly search in vain for that one moment, that one space in the everlastingness, our own piece of immortality in which we might find true passion? Looking down upon the river, feeling it flow through me like the blood coursing through my veins, I knew that I was not meant to know. A suffering burned inside of me, as I felt the eyes of whatever it is that lays beyond stare down. I stretched myself out across the grassy knoll beneath me and let myself drift away. I shall simply have to wait it out, play my cards, and see what happens when I cash in my chips.

No comments: